Saturday, February 23, 2013

FRIDA KAHLO - QUEEN OF ART AND FASHION

http://www.fkhs.org/images/frida20kahlo1.jpg
When I was 9 years old, a good friend of mine took me to the cinema... We were on vacation and the hotel had a cute little movie theater on the 16th floor. The movie we watched influenced my entire life in a way. I was always interested in art and enjoyed museums and theater when I was a kid with my mum grandma (who liked to sleep during the plays lol)). So back to that movie: It was Frida. Honestly it messed with my mind in a way. I mean, I was very young and I don't think that a kid can understand all of this at that age. When I watch it now, there is so much more happening inside of me, 'cause now I understand what kind of woman she was: A goddess of art.
In 1907 one of the most influential artists of the 20th century was born in a place called Coyoacán: Frida Kahlo. Her turbulent and wild life had so many ups and downs, so many blows of fate and so many turning points, that I don't find it to be possible to express all that in one single article. Her creative work can be summed up in the following words: Love, Folk Art, Colours, Feminism, Beauty, Passion, Humanism, Unconventionality and a truly Unique Nature. She left a mark on the image of Mexico forever and became a character of inspiration for many artists and designers. Frida is not only an icon of arts but also of fashion. Her style was full of the colours red and green (Flag of Mexico), flowers, incredibly stunning hair accessories and beautiful details. After so many years people still keep paying tribute to this unique woman in arts and fashion and that makes me very happy. This is the true definition of immortality to me- Leaving a mark on the world.
The gorgeous Frida:
The "Frida Essence" in Fashion Culture:

 http://fashionbyfashion.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/115.jpg
Frida tribute via Vogue Mexico
My all time favourite designer duo Dolce & Gabbana always shows a little Frida in the latest collections: The folk charm is another little tribute to the Mexican painter.http://p9.storage.canalblog.com/97/80/119589/55693274.jpg
Celebrities inspired by Frida Kahlo:
Giovanna Battaglia in Dolce & Gabbana at the 2012 MET Ball (via VOGUE)
Harper's Bazaar Ukraine: Monica Bellucci by Dolce & Gabbana.
Gwen Stefani 2005 Billboard Music
http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1027332348148_2002/07/22/23entkahlo.jpgIf you guys got interested in Frida Kahlo, I can truly recommend the movie with Salma Hayek, it is a masterpiece! An incredibly authentic portrayal of the Frida's magic.

I wish you all a beautiful weekend and a great relaxing time.
xx
M

No comments:

Post a Comment